How Can I Support the Cause?
October is a wonderful month for many reasons. One of my favorites is that everyone draws a little closer together with Breast Cancer Awareness. I wish we were always aware and supporting the cause, but I am grateful for October being the focus month.
It’s safe to say 8/10 people probably know someone who has spent time fighting cancer. It is very near and dear to us that know someone or if we are that person. Knowing someone and not knowing someone, both can be a blessing. Cancer allows many lessons to be learned in the times of hardship. Families, friends, and communities unite together.
If you know someone struggling with cancer, here are a few ways you can help them and support the cause:
- Be a Listener
- Sometimes a listening ear can make the world of difference. It is very beneficial for people to just talk out their feelings to someone they trust, even if it doesn’t make sense or is not even related. Being there for someone you love and listening can help them make new discoveries about themselves or situation.
2. Open Ended Invitations
- Most fighters don’t know how they will feel by tomorrow or even the end of the day. Let them know whenever they want to, they can come watch a movie or go grab a bite to eat. This lets them know you are their support.
3. Connect those you know with Breast Cancer to a survivor
- Many fighters will say they don’t want help or need it. Again, present the opportunity. They can think about it and reach out when they need it.
4. Offer to buy groceries for them
- Many fighters have special diets or restrictions. As much as they would appreciate a homemade lasagna, they would appreciate it more if you came and got their grocery list from them.
Now what about us that don’t know someone who is fighting against cancer? There are still may ways to help!
- Participate in the Cancer Walks
- These events occur more than you know. Just research to find one in the local area and go walk! All the funding of this event goes to researching for a cure. You are making a wonderful contribution just by walking. Who knows, you might even meet some new lifelong friends!
- There is always the chance to send a donation in to help research along. If you’d like to donate today, visit http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-support
- There are many people in need of help. Donate some of your time to helping organize a walk, a fundraiser for someone in the community, the ways to help are endless! Check out how to volunteer here http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-volunteer
Whether you know someone one fighting cancer or not, you have all the power to make a difference. The greatest thing is you can start today! Help support the cause! Fight Cancer with us.